Tuesday 28 September 2021

Hilary Mantel rules!

 'Virgins are so rare these days, they are sending unicorns out to find them'. I'm currently working my way through Hilary Mantel's historical output, and with words like that, why wouldn't I? Miss Mantel is a superb wordsmith, and I will give a due resume when I have completed the Wolf Hall trilogy (I'm currently on book 2, and at over 600 pages each, there's a lot of reading still to do!)

UPDATE: I have now read 5 of Miss Mantel's books, and I can't praise them highly enough. The 3 volumes of the Cromwell trilogy present a massive commitment, being around 600 pages in each volume. But I doubt there has ever been such an in-depth realisation of Henry VIII's marriage tribulations.

The other 2 were of a much lighter aspect, with one being downright comical. My suggestion would be to read one of the smaller stand-alone volumes first, before tackling the enormous trilogy!

Definitely a 5/5 for all of her books

No comments:

Post a Comment