Wednesday 14 December 2022

Watling Street by John Higgs

 Been quite a while since I last wrote a book review, but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading. Quite the opposite, in fact. It's just that I have continued to read a lot of Hilary Mantel's output, and so far, every one has been worthy of 5 stars. Other books have been less worthy of any sort of recommendation.

However, I took a chance on a book that I'd never heard of, from a firm that handles end of runs and limited appeal books. This is Postscript and the description in their catalogue intrigued me,

Watling Street is known historically as the road from Dover to Chester, built during Roman times. However, Mr. Higgs sets out to prove that the road actually pre-dates that, and may indeed have continued on to Anglesey in Wales.

He travels the length of it, exploring notable places (like Milton Keynes!) within 5 miles either side of the road, and covers both well-known and lesser known historical details.

His writing style is warm and engaging, and I'm very inclined to purchase his other books on the strength of it.

This is a book that covers both historical facts, and the historical basis of the myths that these islands abound with.



1 comment:

  1. Ridden part of that road many times and been over it on my Canal boat also (Stretton aqueduct) might ask for that for Christmas - thanks for the post I hope you an Dick are ok

    ReplyDelete