Tuesday 27 July 2010

Immigration

Although I'm not prejudiced in any way, shape or form, I must admit this did make me chuckle a bit............well, OK, a lot.............



Now, as I said, I'm not prejudiced, but there are far too many immigrants coming to the UK.
It doesn't matter what nationality or religion they are, these overcrowded little islands just don't have room for them.

I know that a lot come here seeking ways to better themselves, and who can blame them? We moan and gripe when things get tough, but there's people out there a whole lot worse off than ourselves. And if you were in their position, wouldn't you try to make a better life for yourself and your family?

On the other side of the coin, there are those who come here (quite often illegally), because they perceive the UK as an easy touch.

Mind - there's indigenous folk who perceive the UK as an easy touch as well. ;)

Point is, we have 3.5 million unemployed. OK, so take out the 1m or so who prefer to live off the state, rather than earn their keep, there's still a shortage of work. I work in an industry that, over the past two years, has seen over 60% of all its' work outsourced to the growing eastern economies, particularly India. This has only served to worsen the economy back home.

I'm not stupid. I understand the logical choice of employers to do this, but it hasn't helped. And now, with a virtually open door policy that permits European residents to live and work where ever they choose, the poor old UK is bursting at the seams.

Our National Health Service (one of the 'institutions' that foreigners find so admirable) is stretched to the limit - to the point where it is often cheaper, and quicker for people to go abroad for treatment. And after the recent world financial market debacle, and the current cutbacks to pay off the UK debt mountain, things are not going to get better any time soon.

I've not got any answers, I'm no economist, but I do care, and I am worried. I'm getting to the end of my working career, and indeed, my '4 score years and ten'. But what will the future hold for my son? Or his children, should he ever find the right woman......................

From where I'm sitting, the future is not Orange, it's not even bright..........................

No comments:

Post a Comment